zondag 30 september 2007

Smell of the past

Having my parents around is always nice ! Talking about many things and for me it always feels like being 'send back' to the Netherlands. With plenty of Dutch books laying around, lots of Dutch word of course, Dutch newspaper and some of the habits I complety forgot about.
(Erwin, do you have potatoes?) But first and foremost it is of course the smells, not of my parents, they still take a shower a week ;) But of Dutch food or better, candy.

I have been covering myself in crumbles of Eierkoeken, stroopwafels and spekulaas but also krijtjes, drop and nootjes, and to top it all off with a non Dutch candy of M&Ms !
Funny that those candies and particulary its smell eg saveur is making me think back of Holland. Of cold night ice skating, cycling through the rain with the support of the wind in the back, Sinterklaas avond with the family, and my time as a student when good Dutch snacks were the fuel every business student got its degree on.

The Netherlands has changes and I dont really think of moving back (ever) but those familar smells are good souvenirs of a country and family that is full of love for everybody.
Well that sounded rather sweet or even cheesy, but well we are taking about food and candy and in terms of cheese the Dutch are not that bad either !

Geen opmerkingen: