dinsdag 4 september 2007

Food for Thought

Are French people obsessed with food? Is the eating of smelly cheese a health issue? Will they drink the grapes out of each vineyard? Important questions I guess, since I am living here and try to adapt to this tough lifestyle... What does food mean for Dutch people?

Simple, lets take lunch... you have 30 minutes to push a number of sandwiches through your system and basically get over your hunger feeling. Not very poetic nor interesting, Dutch people feel the need to eat not the need to experience the food. What does food mean for the French? Not so simple, its an experience, an art de vivre even a joy, the picking of the ingredients, the choice of the menu, the way the table is laid out, the smell the color, ok ok we get it; it is important!

Well, yes and since 30 minutes will just be enough to discuss the starter, French people take generally 2 hours to lunch. A little bit of wine is often shared to stimulate the not so good French winemarket and is a mere sacrifies ...

A typical lunch is shared with people, love ones or business people, during which each ingredient, its origin, way it was prepared etc is discussed in a lengthy matter. Participants defends their regions of origin, 'our Fromage is far more smellier than yours' is often heard.
It seems like working is something that is scheduled around a meal and is of none importance than just be able to settle the bill.

I have been observing this behaviour as a consultant of the National Geographic and I have to say, it surprises me each time cos French people tend to refer to each ingredients or meal as 'the best they ever had'. Obviously until the next day....
I do believe we can learn from them and appreciate food in a way better than just something that fills the stomache to something that add to the brain too!

Although I will not let food become the spokesperson at my dinner table I do enjoy hearing the stories and seeing their passion. Clearly it has had an influence on me. When I got back from New York awhile ago a (French) friend picked me up from the airport and asked me how the Big Apple was. My first reaction was without thinking.... My God the food is sooo bad!

He took me in his arms and said the magical word ; Erwin, welcome back in France, you are French now !

Geen opmerkingen: