maandag 24 maart 2008

Seborgian Food Fest


What better occasion to be wished for as Easter Sunday to check out the gastronomic skills of the ‘Il Principe” in Seborga. Upon entry, the welcome was very friendly, what else would you expect? We are among Seborghini ! The host of the evening Mr Ferrari (no really) also the Minister of Foreign Affairs indicated the table with a massive stomach move that indicated that the word ‘diet’ is not part of the Seborghini vocabulary. After a small chat with him, I quickly found out that he was the ex owner of the plot of land where the house is been built. That makes the decision easy tonight for leaving a tip… Mr Ferrari recommended the tourist menu, which is not that heavy and covers the things that Seborga is famous for which.

So to kick off the meal, I got a huge plate with all types of meat, salad and grilled vegetables, very tasty indeed. Moving swiftly on the next plate was of the same size and had home made ravioli in sauce Bolognese, not very gastronomic as a choice but I loved it. With a bit of time for another small chat he explained that Seborga is rather serious about their independence and that was clearly visual when the waiter showed her jumper with on her arm the flag of Seborga. It all sounded and felt a bit like Corsica but less violent!

Ready for the next phase? Bring it on! Seborga rabbit, a big bowl filled with three huge pieces of rabbit in fresh tomatoes and olives and served with small cubes of potatoes, oufff this is serious stuff.
I almost finished the dish but my stomach seemed to start to imitate that of the owner and I was still one stage away from the final coffee. Mr Ferrari asked if all was well and invited me to have a look at the desserts. Not the card but a huge table in the middle of the room that offered a variety of desserts that much have made Willy Wonka jealous. I decided to go for the pear cake that seemed a less heavy option than the strawberry meringue.

A nice piece of cake that normally is drenched in Calvados but I decided to leave that to him. (he moved to the corner of the restaurant and had two pieces) The coffee was a welcome end to a huge meal but unfortunately a coffee brand with a strange taste, but I have to admit that my bodily functions as well as my head was kind of busy dealing with the amount of food that I was given. I staggered to the car (had my picture taken with the Minister of course) and had a quick look at the house that was covered in darkness and silence. What a meal and what a village! What will have it in store for me next ?

Geen opmerkingen: