maandag 3 maart 2008

Progress is a state of mind


I have never been in the lucky position as to see your house being built before your own eyes. At times it is stressful and frustrating but this is soon taken care off with the excitement of where to install the kitchen and office and which part of the garden will be for the pizza oven.

However a new built property can also give you headaches in terms of what you can and cannot do. When I purchased the house, I put down a list of 7 changes that for me were primordial to get the house turned into my Casa. 5 of these points were approved and the others I can do a little bit later. With the interior design it will therefore be a real place that is almost like a tailor made shirt! And I do like my shirts !

But there are always problems, so Sundays are the days when I spend at least one hour on site inspection every corner of the house and keeping a close I on the progress.

This Sunday was no different and with a nice sunshine and splendid view on the sea I slided down the not yet prepared road of my house. First surprise …a huge hole in the garden that was being filled up with bottles of beer, metal frames and wood pieces, generally things you put in the ground to grow a tree of beer … Moving on I noticed that the inside was moving forward with about 100 meters of electric cables sticking out of the wall, a gadget environment needs a fair share of wires ! The outside wall offered yet another surprise. On the brick wall 5 colours were displayed; a Yellow like a banana, Orange like Easyjet, Red like a Ferrari etc, The thought that one of these colours would be for the outside wall made me a bit scared. I would see the headlines in the Seborga Gazetta; Mr Bos signs a product placement deal with Easyjet and turns house in a orange flagship. Luckily there were still some workers around and I asked one of them if this was what I thought? ….I was right! Oh dear, I think a chat with the architect would be a good idea, even more when I try to get from one part of the garden to the other side and there is no staircase, just 2 meters of space.

Progress is being made but it would be rather annoying if the house is fantastic but the only downside is …you can see the house from Nice!
Newly built is certainly not boring and I don’t regret it at all but you have to be ready for those surprises and know ways to persuade the builders to change their ideas.
(flower tiles in the kitchen mmmm) but they are a good bunch of workers and if they don’t progress quick enough they can always get the help of some Polish workers.

Geen opmerkingen: