donderdag 6 maart 2008

After lunch delight


No secrets here but it has been long known that I appreciate an espresso now and than.But having previously entered into a world of espresso, where drinking an espresso standing at the bar is not a simple gesture but a ritual. I recently walked into a new and funky looking café bar called Dersut, Bottega della caffe, and had a chat with the owner. As it turned out, they were not actually open yet, but the pestering sales man in me, apparently guaranteed a friendly welcome.

He quickly showed me around and the smell of coffee was already making me want to come back. This I have done several times since and I have even become a member of it which entitles me to have the friendly ‘Ciao !” when I enter the bar and after 10 visits a 100 grams of the best beans they could find. Good enough reason to come back!

But where I initially showed up to drink a simple espresso during lunch hours, I now got curious and found out that they offer plenty fresh fruits mixes and even better…funky coffees.

Si, si, Italians don’t stop at a simple espresso or capuchino, they have a wide variety that will keep you awake for the rest of the month. Today I entered the shop and waited patiently to order my espresso, just behind the local police officers. You know the type, cool sunglasses, tight fitted uniform with leather boots and a revolver that looks like a third leg at those tiny police officers and of course a funky well trimmed beard. They order a coffee that sounded very complicated and made the lady go and pick up a small machine and a number of bottles with strange looking liquid in it.

Did I discover an illegal trade of something? Is the police in Bordighera addicted? When the drink was finished, I will spare you the details but it involved a whole mix of handlings, the policemen smiled and drank it peacefully. This was so intriguing that when it was my turn, I said in real Meg Ryan style ; I’ll have what they are having! The lady behind the bar smiled like the well kept secret was being prepared for the Virgin coffee drinker from Holland. When the steaming glass was put on the counter, there was just one order; no zucchero, just turn with spoon! Ok, that’s easy. When I finally was be able to drink it, half the shop was observing me and I was scared that the police officer would arrest me but he smiled and said, c’est tres bon. Aller, lets go for it!

Mmmm, a mix of coffee, crème de café and some other things rather sugary but a great taste! I smiled and the people in the bar were all relieved and continued talking. I need to have this again, they only problem is… I have no idea how to pronounce it!

Geen opmerkingen: