dinsdag 11 maart 2008

Don't drink and network !

Monday night I was in Monaco for a cocktail that was attended by over 200 important decision makers and ceo’s (do I count myself among them….) The evening kicked off at 18.30 but you never be there at the real start, that would be to eager… So at 18.45 I entered the Sea Club at the Meridien Hotel, gave my invitation and kissed my way into the crowd. (In the South kissing is still a big thing and I am not against it) After having spend almost 8 years here I know quiet a few people and its always nice to see each other at this event. Naturally there are also the people to avoid but in the end you will still meet them, shake hands and move on.

As my entry in the JuniorSenior is still fresh, people are curious and exchanging business cards and explain and reply to many questions is actually good fun.
An other important part is that at cocktails the food is generally not bad at all (but I never seem to be able to eat) and the drinks are open bar, meaning, you can drink as much as you like, in my case that is a lot of San Pel! However, the people I was talking to persuaded me to have a glass of champagne and I made an exception to my non drinking rule. Continuing explaining and getting used to my almost Italian like use of gestures I manage to slam the glass out of my hand and on the floor. A suit covered in Moet and glass everywhere, a fantastic way of getting attention…

Funnily enough one of the main reason to attend was getting to know the new decision makers and there were a few on my list. However one I could find at all up till a nice lady handed me a napkin to get rid of the bubbles on my suit. “Nice to see you again Erwin’ oh dear, the thing I fear the most. People that know me but I cannot remember their name. Think Think Think. Say, sorry for the glass, you can put it on the bill, I joked, realizing that it was the head of the Meridien events department. She smiled and said, I was looking for you to present the new director of the group (marketing). Fantastic, that was the person I couldn’t find!

A friendly looking lady give me her card and hand and we exchange a couple of words….and realizing very quickly that she is …Dutch ! Great, 5 minutes later, I have one important person less to meet and a meeting set up for the next week, I guess broken glass brings luck after all!

Geen opmerkingen: