maandag 3 maart 2008

Italian birthday

Tomorrow it will be one month since I have become an Italian residant and today I was thinking what I am missing in terms of Nice, France.
After a long think, no reason to be negative, I realised that I am missing my brioche and pain au cereal and Bon Mama rhubarb jam and maybe the occasional visit to Chez Gesu or the Barachois. It sounds that I am food obsessed but these are I guess the things you miss when you leave a place where food is so important.

But apart from these negative food facts I am really enjoying the life here. The people seem to be more friendly and open than in Nice and I cant say that they don’t like food like the French.

Certain things are of course still challenging, the language is not that easy and with all the channels on tv in Italian and no foreign news papers around I am obliged to force feed myself with the Italian language and that is actually great fun!

But what did I actually learn?

• Shouting is a proper way of communicating,
• Scrubs in Italian is almost as fun as in English,
• good coffee is cheap and comes in 100 shapes,
• internet connection is not and complicated to get it to work,
• Italians recycle but the bins always seem to be full
• football is like oxygen – don’t try to take it away cos they will kill you,
• fruit and veggies are fresh and have flavour,
• Italian bread is so light, they sell it to you with a cord attached,
• money under the table is a law, Berlusconi will confirm it soon
• singing on television is good as long as the presenter is blond, female and
good looking, cleavage is a plus
• tv commercials are about food, cleaning and telephones,
• a Fiat Punto can do 160 on the motorway,
• Italian police officers get special beard trimming lessons,
• Waving your hands and making gestures gets you airmiles, apparently…

And the list goes on and on ! Enough material to stay put and bore everybody again with my stories !

Geen opmerkingen: