zaterdag 5 januari 2008

Back from the USSR


Yesterday was a day that can simple be described as a day of Transit. Getting up really early and heading for the cab (this time a Peugeot Partner) generally for goods in France but who cares, everything beats a Lada. Driving to a almost dead Moscow with lighted buildings is actually a really nice experience. The light is quiet clear and the buildings even more impressive, not a bad start of the day!
Airport arrival in minus 16 was rather cold so the big entrance hall looked very appealing. To kill some time the expedition headed to the local coffee house where a 6 member staff took care of my very complicated order; a coffee. After this through some xray machines and the check in, only 45 minutes... Xray machines were crap and didnt discover my secret things hidden in the luggage!

Many important people with friendly Russian faces were present to see that I left the country in good order, which of course I was willing to do.
Getting closer to the gate I got a bit of a strange feeling, flying a Tupolev is not on my To Do list and I dying is even further down on that list. BUT surprise surprise, I guess Aeroflop just handed in there empty bottles of vodka and statiegeld covered for a brand new Airbus, thank God!
An easy comfortable flight to...Varsovie, Poland. Three hours of waiting made the expedition only on the help of Cola, coffee, blueberry muffins and Polish water and no Wifi here as you would expect...

The next plane was a surprise. What will it be? A paper one? One that is celebrating his last flight today? On that was recently taken apart and they got some spare parts left over? No, no, after a busride to destiny I looked at what can be described as a 45 seater which is close to his retirement age, only to be entered by using a can opener and no space for heads, who needs those anyway??
Of course the expedition had the last seat on the plane, at the back next to the only toilet, how handy. To celebrate old age, LOT airlines (funny in Dutch..) wanted to make sure that a 3 hour flight is not enough and added another hour on the runway. If anybody wants to know how many windows the airport building of Varsovie has than give me a call... Finally the started the engine, some extra wood in the oven for the heating system and off we go.

Friday Flying Fright, shaken and stirred, mixed like a bad cocktail it carried on. Eating was like juggling and was is just me or was this plane really making those sounds??? Hours passed and the toilet was in full action, I tried to sleep but my dreams became strange, reality even stranger when we approached Nice. The temperature increased each minutes with 5 degrees and when I saw Marina Baie des Anges I was close to boiling. Of course air traffic was busy so it took awhile to get the plane down, this time was used to dance around in the clouds and simulate air disaster, and that was all included in the ticket price!
Finally down, the expidition bearly managed to walk out of the plane to catch the bus and try the fresh air of Nice.
Its good to be back and next time I will cycle !

Geen opmerkingen: