zondag 30 december 2007

The meet market


Heading in the blistering cold out to what could only be described as the end of the world market... but I would say the Zwartemarkt in Beverwijk is quiet close to it.
Walking out of the metro station lots of people head straight to the open market to buy whatever they feel like buying; clothes, knifes, DVDs, russian souvenirs, gloves and hats etc etc There is a huge quantity of minibus companies that bring and take people from or to this place, some look like they were in a big traffic accident (and many were) and so smell like a bottle of vodka on wheels. The entrance to the market is 10 roubels (3 euro) and the cold wind is provided for free.

The market actually looks quiet nice, a bit like a German weihnachtsmarket where gluhwein has been replaced with vodka. Shop keepers have all my respect working in the extreme cold and being rather friendly. How is this possible? The answer is about to arrive. An old lady is pushing a shopping trolley with hot tea and coffee and soup and a variety of bottles of vodka. This day it seems that everybody is allergic for tea and coffee... I start to wonder whether I have arrived with or without feet and my ears will break when touched. I clearly need to adapt myself to this climate, this provides me with a dilemma; vodka or hat. With both options I will look silly but I will be at least warm.
I decided to purchase half a bear and wear this now and I have to admit, I do look silly but my head is warm! (picture will follow soon to ridicule me more)

Funnily enough when I started to look at the shop close to wear I bought the hat, I ran into a funny foreigner. Turns out he is from Rotterdam and drops by every 3 months to buy souvenirs on this market and sell them in Holland or on Ebay, you got to love the Dutch entrepreneur spirit! He speaks like Jules Deelder and wears a silly hat too, it really makes me smile. This is what markets are all about, strange things and funny meetings! You are who you meet...

Geen opmerkingen: