donderdag 27 december 2007

Got my nuts cracked...


As a cultural virgin in the field of opera and ballet I have been trying to force feed myself with some more of these cultural ingredients. My last and so far only opera was a great success, 10 toes trying to leave my shoes and my brain overheated trying to understand what was so great about this singing?? Couldnt they just say it?

Well, today I added a new challenge to the list, the ballet. However this time it is the world famous Bolshoi theater home to the greatest of the greatest ballet dancers. Quiet exciting, so after an initial museum in the morning and a quick lunch, the expedition headed to the NutCracker ballet, changing 3 times at the metro station and wondering why people complaint in London or Paris about rush hour... everybody is so friendly and gets close so quickly.

Arriving at the theatre there is a mixture of welldressed people and jeans wearing people that all seem to be passioned by getting to watch men in tights...
The big salle was under recontruction so the small will do. The view was a bit cornerish but better than those of the Japanese that were almost hanging of the balcony and stretching their head like a giraffe.

Light, Music, Action, the show begins. The music is of course of high quality and after awhile more and more people enter the stage, jumping, turning, twisting and being elegant. I referred to it as over-exaggeratin of slow motion movements while jumping up and down, although this doesnt give enough credit to the dancers.
Talk about muscles!

The stage was nicely decorated and the play made some sense, but I feel that at this moment I start to understand the music however the bring is not yet capable of connecting the movement with the music and therefore the story remained a bit vague.
But it was a great experience to be able to witness this in such a mythic place and I feel that I am ready to jump in a Swan lake...

Geen opmerkingen: