zondag 18 mei 2008

Delivery time, Peruvian style


Yesterday morning at 10.00 o’clock I received the long awaited delivery of the kitchen and many other stuff that I ordered in Genova. Unfortunately the delays of the work have made the access road rather Paris-Dakar and sliding down doesn’t seem to be an option, so you can imagine that I was slightly worried… A huge truck arrived and three tiny men got out of it.
Two looking like they played the flute in the street as part of the Peruvian whistle blowers that for long have graced our streets. Ooops, this looks like it will be difficult and I got even more worried when I showed them the access road and where it needed to be installed. They started straight to light a cigarette and discuss this among each other.

Than they opened the lift door and the started to unpack thing and the 2,50m fridge combination was staring like Goliath at two little Davids… But than my eyes almost popped out when the tiniest man turned its back on the fridge and carried, running down the steep access road, into the house!!! I couldn’t believe my eyes! They must have been doing Sherpa tracking in the mountains cos these two guys were unbelievable, asking each time to put more and more on their shoulders, head or back. Within 2 hours a huge trucks was empty and in between they cracked a number of jokes and managed to make several calls.

I was really impressed because they also put everything in the right place, had all the paper work sorted out and were never complaining about the quantity the weather of the work. (try that with the guys at the SNCF in France)

At the end I was really pleased that they did so much work and so quick in a situation that was easy for them and a little bonus was in order.
Next time when I will see them playing their bamboo pipes I will give them an extra euro and might even go for the cd…although, I shouldn’t stretch it too far…

Geen opmerkingen: