maandag 7 juli 2008

In for a challenge?

We all have seen the programs on television about a fantastic place in the sun. People geared up for a new experience, ready to learn another language and blend in with the locals. Ambitious projects of Bed and Breakfast or even hotels, changing from a hectic life style to a more relaxed and well balanced environment, rich of colour, sunshine and good food.
And than reality hits them and they all become depressed and nothing seem to work anymore. All the positive energy is being transformed into frustration and things just stop going there way.

This is the story I keep hearing when people find out that I purchased a house in Italy that is being constructed. Fair enough, it is not easy but what is? So, is the reality as bad as those programs show us? Well, no it is worse…just kidding. It is challenging that is for sure.
Since months I have been eager to take possession of the house and this has been impossible to a huge number of things. On itself not a problem, I have a temporary roof and I know that the house will be finished, although I have no idea in which year…

Sometimes it is just funny. You have been waiting for two month to get the parquet floor and than it is done in one day. Fantastic! A quick visit to the site than learns you that it has been done but the builders ordered not enough so it is not completely done. Oh by the way, they are out of stock. Challenging indeed. The newly set date to move in is now Wednesday and for me this is just another day. I have had 7 deadlines so far and none has been respected. At least they are constant ;) The question is not when will I move in but more like, if I move in.
Painting has been done by a painter that apart from painting walls has more tattoos than Robert de Niro in CapeFear and wanted to get paid upfront 100%. Yes, we all live in Disneyland and my name is Mickey Mouse.

Next phase will be building the kitchen. Three missed appointments of potentional Bob the Builders and I guess that soon I will purchase a Buta gas set and boil some water for my pasta. The rule is simple, nobody has time and when they have time for you they all think that they are Designers and therefore putting a kitchen together or painting a wall is below their standard hence the price is more expensive. Well, true, I don’t mind saying to my friends that Candy & Candy did my kitchen and Leonardo da Vinci did the painting but lets stay humble and get to work ! I guess I should write a book about it all, sell it online and with the revenue refund the purchase and the ‘designers’… Now there is a challenge!

Geen opmerkingen: