zondag 13 juli 2008

Illegal alien

Last Friday I drove back after a late meeting and cocktail from France to Italy. I changed clothes and put on a t shirt since the weather was still so warm.
When I arrived at the Peage La Turbie, there was virtually nobody that was ‘willing to cross the border’ and I could choose basically any booth to pay. When I put in my credit card, a man dressed in a black uniform flashed his light in my eyes and pulled me over.

This was obviously a police officer that was happy to finally see a person and get some work done. He and his colleague looked with suspicion at me and I quickly washed off my smile.

He asked me straight to see what was in the booth. Sure, no problem open it, I have nothing to hide. No, sir, get out of the car and do it for us. Sure, you lazy man ! I got out, opened the booth, showed the inside of a potential hiding place and was allowed to close it. But the guy started to get a little bit aggressive. Did I know that cannabis is not allowed? Of course I do and by the way, I am Dutch. Oops, silly me. Why do I advocate the use of illegal drugs?

Pardon me? Yes, you are wearing a t shirt with a cannabis leaf on your left arm. What? Oh right, and since when this is illegal? He started to get really excited now. This is illegal in France and very stupid. Do you want me to take it off? Yes, I would, he replied, if I had it on my trouser or if I had another one it the car. You are taking the piss right? No Mr Black Uniform and moustache was not of the joking variety and started to read me the law. I was getting more and more pissed off and said that he must be bored to spend so much time over this and asked to leave. I was allowed and while I speeded off I could still hear him and his colleague debating.

I learned a wise lesson that evening…the safest way to cross the border is naked and with the booth open…you are warned !

Geen opmerkingen: